AS A LONG cherished dream of the executive minister of the Iglesia ni Cristo, Brother Erano G. Manalo, the New Era College formerly, New Era Educational Institute became a reality since its foundation in 1975. The school formally opened its portals to the public in June 1975 immediately after it was granted permit to operate by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports now Department of Education, Culture and Sports, (DECS). The school was allowed to offer a secondary course in its first school building at 499 Carlos Palanca St., Quiapo, Manila.
The high school started operating with 23 faculty members and 466 enrolees. The Institute successfully finished the crucial first two years of its existence. On June 6, 1977 the NEEI was formally incorporated under Republic Act 1459 as a private, non-stock, non-sectarian, non-profit educational institution aiming to develop academic excellence, professional responsibility and social awareness founded on genuine Christian principles.
During school year 1977-78 the Institution branched out to vocational and technical courses. The Institute began its collegiate department in 1978 offering nine (9) courses, six (6) of which are leading to bachelor's degree. The offering of academic and technological courses is a manifestation of the schools commitment to develop and train its studentry, thus helping boost the country's manpower pool for national development.
The opening of the collegiate department necessitated the expansion of the school's physical make-up. In June 1978, the collegiate department transferred to a modern four-story edifice along Commonwealth Avenue in Diliman, Quezon City. This was then called the Evangelical College (EVCO) building. It has been serving as learning center for would-be Ministers of the Church. It was only in 1981 that the College assumed its present name New Era College. In 1982, seven years after its establishment, the College first conferred the degree of Bachelor of Science (in Psychology, Industrial Education and in Business Administration) on twelve (12) graduates.
The New Era College remained at the EVCO building until 1986 when its permanent home was finally completed. Its new campus is along St. Joseph St. Milton Hills, 1107 Diliman, Quezon City. The new building was inaugurated on May 1986 by no other than Brother Erano G. Manalo. His inaugural speech reflected the rationale for the establishment of the school. He said, thus "The prime purpose of this school is for the glory of God. "Let not this school be the battleground of warring students...Let no one destroy the brotherly love that should exist between teachers and students...Above all, let the implementation and fulfillment of God's words be the prevailing atmosphere inside this structure where wisdom dwells."
Also by 1986, the school was complete with elementary school, high school, four collegiate institutes, and one graduate institute.
On June 30, 1995 New Era College was granted the University status under the name New Era University by the DECS Secretary and Chairman of the Commission on Higher Education, Dr. Ricardo T. Gloria.